Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is one of the best hidden secrets in Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. An interactive card-based scavenger hunt throughout every land of the park except for Tomorrowland, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is the perfect attraction for any and every age group. With a huge fan base and many ways to collect the trading cards, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is a great way to have a break and relax in the park, while still having fun and being adventurous!
What is Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom?
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is what Disney calls an “Interactive Scavenger Hunt” located only in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. The story line behind the game is that Hades creates a plan to make the Magic Kingdom his new home during the summer, and he has enlisted many of the famous Disney villains to help find 4 enchanted crystal shards located throughout the park. Merlin has made it his quest to prevent these villains from taking over the park. Merlin recruits “apprentice sorcerers” to help defeat the villains throughout the kingdom. This game debuted in the Magic Kingdom in 2012, and has been a favorite attraction for many Disney lovers.
How to Play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom?
First head to the Firehouse located on Main Street U.S.A. to the right of Guest Relations. When entering the park, it will be to your left almost immediately, and there will be a large red banner that says “Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom”. Here cast members will explain to you how the game works, and they will give you spell cards and Merlin’s map to guide you. On this map there are 20 magic portals located in 5 of Magic Kingdom’s lands- Adventureland, Main Street U.S.A., Fantasyland, Liberty Square, and Frontierland. You will receive 5 cards in each pack. The cast member will also link up your MagicBand or admissions ticket so that you can access the portals. You will practice with your spell cards and learn how to best use them. You will be given your first location to go (and shown what it looks like on the portal), and you will locate it on the map (there are small symbols on the map that will match each location).
When you head to the location, you will look for a large gold keyhole. Here you will place your MagicBand or ticket on it for the portal to light up. There will be a circle with the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom logo in front of the portal on the ground that you will stand at while watching the story enfold. All of these locations are meant to be somewhat hidden, so if you are having any trouble finding the portal, ask a nearby cast member or look on the walls for a window (where most of them are). Have your spell cards ready, and if you can, have which card you want to use picked out. Merlin will walk you through what you need to do, and whether or not you need to hold up a spell card or just hold up the sorcerers symbol (on the back of all the cards). You will hold up the card when told and watch and see what happens!
Best Tips & Tricks for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
- Play as little or as much as you would like! You don’t have to complete it within a certain amount of time either, so this is perfect for in between rides or when lines are getting very long.
- Your progress made on the game is valid for 18 months as long as you use the same MagicBand or ticket every time you play.
- The cameras can have trouble reading your spell cards sometimes so try to make sure you are pointing it towards the cameras next to the portal. Also make sure you are standing directly on the circle Sorcerers emblem on the ground.
- You can definitely play as a two-player team, linked on one MagicBand or ticket. Both stand in the circle and hold up your spell cards at the same time, and both spells will be cast!
- The game keeps track of what portal you are supposed to be at and will redirect you to the right portal if you get a little lost!
- There is a board game you can buy to accompany the cards so you can play it at home.
- You can receive one map and pack of spell cards per day.
- The missions you are on can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes.
- This is a completely FREE game; it is included as a part of your admission.
- General rule for trading cards is “level for a level” or star for a star.
- There are so many Facebook groups dedicated to Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom where you can trade and find other fans of the game!
- You can buy a booster pack online or at the Magic Kingdom when available.
- There are 70 different Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards you can collect, and there are special card you can find at some of the special events (such as Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party).
- If you get doubles, you can trade up to 3 of your cards at the Fire Station with the cast members.
- They make spell card binders to fit all of your cards, which you can buy online or at the Magic Kingdom.
- Each card has a different value and character on it.
- Cards 1-22 are rare and have a star on the bottom corner. These are found in the trading card packs.
- Cards 23-40 are uncommon and have a moon symbol at the bottom. You can get these from the free card packs.
- Cards 41-60 are common and have a planet at the bottom.
- Cards 61-70 are special cards and can only be found in the bonus add-on packs from the gift shop.
Overall Experience of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
There are some mixed opinions for guests on whether or not they like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, but it is worth it for every Disney fan to try it at least once during one of their trips! I would not recommend it during your first ever trip to the Magic Kingdom, but this game is perfect for those who are looking for something new and fun to do in the Magic Kingdom! Disney fans will appreciate seeing some of the rarer characters in the spotlight. It is also just incredibly fun to collect and trade these cards over many Disney trips. Whether done in between fastpasses, while your toddler is napping in the stroller, when your waiting for the lines to die down, or when you just want a slower-paced day, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is the best way to add some fun and mystery to your park day!